FASD Hope is a podcast about Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder (FASD), through the lens of parent advocates with over 18 years of lived experience.
This 29th episode is titled "Love Me Enough: A Conversation with Helen Orcutt and Em Twomey".
Helen Orcutt is the founder of "Love Me Enough- Faces of Fetal Alcohol", in which she operates with Em Twomey. "Love Me Enough- Faces of Fetal Alcohol" is an FASD blog, resources, shop and support for individuals living with an FASD and their families / loved ones. Both Helen and Em each live with an FASD and they are both adult, self-advocates in the FASD Community. Helen lives in Oregon with her husband and their young son. Em lives in Maryland with her husband and their two sons.
In this HOPE-FILLED Episode, Natalie Vecchione (podcast host) discusses the following topics with Helen and Em: their stories, when they each learned they had an FASD, the accommodations they made (and continue to make) for themselves, their strengths and the "Love Me Enough- Faces of Fetal Alcohol" website / blog / shop.
"And not only that, but we also glory in tribulations, knowing that tribulation produces perseverance, and perseverance, character; and character hope. " - Romans 5:3-5
Helpful Accommodations listed by Helen:
- IEP / 504 / Extra time for tests and assignments, quiet place to take tests
- Chalkboards / whiteboards / sticky notes - WRITING THINGS DOWN and visual reminders
- Digital clocks
- Slowing down when speaking
- Giving yourself GRACE!
Helpful Accommodations listed by Em:
- IEP / 504 / extended test time, etc.
- Stopping, slowing down
- Making lists
- Post it notes and visual reminders
- Breaking down tasks into smaller steps
- Taking time to cool down and breathe
"Love Me Enough - Faces of Fetal Alcohol"
* NOTE - Purchases made in the Love Me Enough Shop will have 75% of earnings donated to various, FASD nonprofit organizations.*
Instagram - @love_meenough
Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/lovemefasd/
FASD Hope -
Instagram - @fasdhope
Facebook - @fasdhope1
Pinterest - @fasdhope1